NGS Tequila Geotourism Program: El Espíritu de México
Promoting unique and authentic attractions within the Tequila region of Mexico
- Client: National Geographic Maps Division
- Partners: Consejo para el Desarrollo Integral de Tequila, Gobierno Municipal de Tequila, Pueblos Mágicos, Fundación Jose Cuervo, Secretaría de Turismo, Secretaria de Turismo del Estado de Jalisco
- Project Duration: August 2015 – March 2016
Solimar in partnership with National Geographic has undertaken this project to promote Tequila, Mexico into a tourism destination. This project is designed to support the natural resource assets, cultural attractions, and historically important places that make Tequila, Mexico a unique and vibrant tourism destination. The Tequila Geotourism Program will provide a forum for the strategic planning and implementation of a sustainable tourism strategy for the region, and develop a vibrant digital platform to promote the region’s unique sites, attractions, businesses and places.
The El Espíritu de México Geotourism Program will highlight lesser-known attractions in the region, driving visitation to these places and distributing economic benefits to a wider segment of the region’s tourism industry. Using the strength of the National Geographic brand to bring stakeholders together, the program will deliver an interactive online MapGuide populated with places of interest (POIs) identified and described by locals. The MapGuide will help travelers find places most recommended by residents, highlighting the places and people that make the region special.
- Develop a Geotourism Stewardship Council comprised of regional stakeholders who will oversee and help implement the Geotourism process
- Develop a co-branded National Geographic Branded Website that will facilitate engagement through marketing and storytelling
- Collect nominations through locals of all places, attractions and businesses that make this region unique. All participants will receive certificates, window stickers and digital badges from NG and the Stewardship Council highlighting them as a National Geographic Geotourism site to strengthen brand awareness
- Six-week social media marketing campaign will be designed to promote the new Tequila Espíritu de México and National Geographic co-branded website
- Increased collaboration among local stakeholders thorugh the El Espíritu de México Geotourism Stewardship Council
- A National Geographic co-branded website will showcase the unique people and places of Tequila, El Espíritu de México
- Certificate, window sticker and digital badge from National Geographic for all sites, attractions, and businesses on the MapGuide, highlighting them as a National Geographic Geotourism site
- Business model and strategy for the future of the Geotourism Stewardship Council and program